February 1, 2010

The Gentle Touch

I saw something today that brought tears to my heart and they seeped out my eyes.

I'm not sure why it affected me so much.

Every week I see men touch their wives in loving ways while I'm at church.

Maybe it was because it was so subtle and so simple.



So unexpected. 

This is my interpretation.

A husband reached over and gently ran his fingers on his wife's elbow and then wiggled his hand under where her elbow had been resting on the back of the pew.  She didn't seem to notice it at first, being distracted by her son with special needs, but then she picked up her elbow as if maybe she was smashing his hand.

With no words, he looked at her with only his eyes and that gentle touch again.  It seemed that he was saying 'he meant to do that'.  He was providing cushion for her unprotected elbow. 

Oh, the loving interaction that happened in that moment!


Maybe that's what it was for me.

That look.  

That gentle touch.


It didn't seem like a sensual look or touch that said, 'I can't wait till we get time alone', it was more like a look of deeply felt love.  A look that said they'd been through some heartbreaking as well as Kodak moments together.  A look that said, 'I'm so blessed that you're my wife.'

Maybe that's why I was so moved by it.

Because someday I'd like to experience that.

As I write this I am again emotional and all the words are looking italicized.


"True love is not so much a matter of romance as it is a matter of anxious concern for the well being of ones companion."~Gordon B. Hinkley~




2 comments:

  1. This makes me happy and thankful of what I have and sad that everyone doesn't have it. But in general I think that the world needs more reminders of what really matters and you are helping by sharing these things. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading what you observed brought a lump to my throat. To feel the love that was in that touch...surely that is the ultimate gift. Oh, to give that feeling to one you love - how complete that must feel. How full of compassion and God that must be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...