September 14, 2010

In Case You Get Thirsty

I had a visit today from a three-year-old friend of mine.
He dropped in for a birthday visit.


He brought me a plateful of chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting.




Excitedly he put a candle (which he brought in a sandwich Ziploc with matches) into one of the cupcakes.
His mother lit the candle and helped him sing.
He and I blew out the candle together.

He then took the candle out

And proceeded to eat the cupcake.
(Thus the vacancy on the plate.)


But that wasn't all that he brought.


He also had a gift for me.
It was a stack of about eight of his used sippy cups without lids.
He said he brought them 'in case I get thirsty'.
He had brought much more than I needed.
He had given me all that he had.
His generosity and lack of concern for what he would do when he got thirsty moved me.


(Maybe he did not need them as much as I did.)


I had heard something about thirst before....
Was it in Matthew "Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteous: for they shall be filled"? 
Or was it in John "But whosoever drinketh of the water I shall give him shall never thirst:...."?
Or "....and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."?
Or "....If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink." ?


In the end, my little friend took his cups back home with him
But he left a message wrapped in heartstrings that pricked my heart.

He had shared a reminder of where I should go if the need arises. 


His gift unbeknowst to him was full of hope and promise.
Or maybe....
It was His purpose all along


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...