June 30, 2010

Sometimes I Just Need A Good Cry

"Tears are the safety valve of the heart when too much pressure is laid on it."~ Albert Smith

 Have you ever just felt like you needed or wanted to cry and you aren't even hormonal?


Sometimes it sneaks up on me.
It is usually because I have been pushing it aside or inside and it crests at my eye sockets.

It is at those times that I may cry when someone else's child wins an award for perfect attendance - while being home-schooled.
Or I cry at a Hallmark commercial.  (Especially when they are between the Hallmark movie that I am already crying about.)  (Did you see the last one 'When Love Is Not Enough'?)
Or I may cry when there is a great, bachelor pad- make-over on HGTV.
This is evidence that I am looonngg overdue for a good cry.


Unless I am cutting onions, I can't cry on demand.
So I may prompt it (if none of the above situations present themselves) by watching a tear-jerker movie or re-reading Where The Red Fern Grows.
Because I know as Antoine Rivarol so accurately states, "Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water."


Other times sad things just happen suddenly:
We ache for a loved one.
We are tired of what we see in the mirror.
We have experienced a great loss.
We feel overwhelmed with life.
We know our life is about to change, maybe forever.
Or We have NO idea what tomorrow will hold.


And I think at those times it is important to cry.
No, I think it is essential !  Shakespeare recognized that "To weep is to make less the depth of grief."


If like a river, there is only so much water the banks of our hearts can hold within, there will eventually be an inevitable flood of salty tears pouring out and over into our lives if we do not address it.


It is a cleansing, a release.
Although the process may be uncomfortable and draining, when it is all done, we most likely will experience some relief.


I believe that The Master of us knew we needed a release valve to keep us from overheating,  cracking our head gaskets or just burning up our engines!  
So He installed one in each of us.
Complete with overflow tear ducts.
Free of charge.
With an instruction manual.
A manual that many of us do not even know where we put.
Or we keep it in our night stand drawer but never look at it.
Or we sold it at our last yard sale thinking we didn't need it.
Because we have owned the vehicle so long we know how it works.
Whatever the reason we ignore the required maintainence.

Not a good thing!
Because , "Tearless grief bleeds inwardly" Christian Nevell Bovee knows.

So if you ever feel like you just need a good cry, that is probably because you do!!

Grab some Kleenex and let's go!


"Unless you have been very, very lucky, you have undoubtedly experienced events in your life that have made you cry.  So unless you have been very, very lucky, you know that a good, long session of weeping can often make you feel better, even if your circumstances have not changed one bit."~Lemony Snicket









1 comment:

  1. This is so true but I still have trouble doing it. I'll have to try some sad movies or something.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...