July 3, 2011

It's A Party! B.Y.O.P. (Pity)

I put on an elaborate, red-carpet party a couple of weeks ago.

When I have these kind of parties I go all-out!


It lasted a good 2-3 hours.  (But I had a preview the night before too.)

I don't think I forgot anything.
There was weeping, wailing, and gnashing of teeth.


Background music by Ugly Cry.
Repeatedly singing, "Oh woe is me."


Decorations everywhere by Puffs.

It was a Big Pity Party!

The only other attendee was God.

I covered everything- going back in the archives, pulling out the micro fiche from my childhood even.


As with any good party, I was exhausted and relieved when it was all over.

It is healthy for me to do this once in awhile.

After I whine about my life and circumstances and feel sorry for myself I can wipe away the excess moisture, get out of bed (or off the floor), straighten my hair and start cleaning up.

It is then that I can see clearly:
All the ways that I have been blessed,
That it isn't as bad as I dramatized,
That some things (and people) in life are out of my control,
And that God was there all along.



I have found if I have these parties as needed (making sure I don't become a lifetime pity party) that I am less likely to have them in front of others.

That I am more able to sort out and deal with the challenges that ride on life's back - (like a flea infestation on a dog .)


So pity parties are a good thing
And you are more than welcome to come....

But you have to bring your own pity.

"Allow yourself a moment of grief when life's misfortunes visit you.  However, do not spend your days building a monument in honor of them."  ~Dodinsky, www.dodinsky.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...