January 2, 2014

The 70 Degree Snowball Fight

My little friend's brother brought home a truck load of snow from the mountain.

When I arrived at her house the next day I was surprised to find there was still some melting remains of  dirty, hard packed, ice-like snow in the bed of the truck.  (You can tell I have little experience with the cold stuff!  I don't even know how to accurately describe it.)

Heck, it was 70 degrees out.  I didn't really believe I would be able to follow through on my promise to have a snowball fight with her!  I was just pacifying a child's wish with, "Sure we can".

It never occurred to her that it might be likewise.  We were going to have a snowball fight!
And we did.
Oh, we had to get a stick to loosen up the frozen mixture, but we found enough "good stuff" to throw at each other. 
(Even to get some down my shirt.)
She in the bed of the truck and me reaching in.

 And you know what?
I had a blast!
A total blast! 

I found myself laughing those deep belly laughs that don't come as easy to my not-so-seasoned-as-callused-self, compared to my young counterpart who is just a few days shy of being the old soul of 6 years.

And in that moment I was grateful that I was participating in and being reminded of how much fun play is.
Of how important it is.
And how much I have missed it in my life.
And needed it.

How much we all need that belly laugh to help us forget the serious things in life in exchange for the fun things once in awhile.
Oh, it didn't fix any of my challenges, but oh, how just for those few moments, I had something more important and immediate to do than worry.

I needed to enjoy life!
And for those heart beats and breaths that I will never get back, there was not a more efficient way to invest them than there.
The return on them was phenomenal! 
And that I believe is partly what hearts are made for.
Joy....Pure Joy


"Laughter is a tranquilizer with no side effects."  ~Arnold Glasow


“It is cheerful to God when you rejoice or laugh from the bottom of your heart.”
Martin Luther King Jr. 
    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...