August 20, 2013

Beauty And The Beast

We were working on her homework when she just got up from the bed and walked away.
I waited a minute and looked up to see where she went and saw that she had taken one of the three red roses she had in a vase by her bed and started cutting the stem pretty short.  (Where do these spontaneously sporadic actions come from?!")   We were working on a math worksheet!



(These were the ones in another part of the house.)

I, in my best, jump-to-conclusions-and overreact-any-chance-you-get-mothering-Beast-self (that I am ashamed to say dominated my parenting) said, "I don't know if you want to cut that off because if it's too short it can't get any water and will die."  (That was a useless thing to say because it was already cut by then.) (The disturbing part is I was at a nanny job and still was acting in my old role without hesitation or thought!)

She, in her stellar, I-am-just-going-to-ignore-what-you-just-said-Beauty-self said, "Here, Ms. Reyna, this is for you!", as she handed me a tiny vase filled with water, one red rose, some Baby's breath and a leaf (I know it has some official name... and probably isn't a leaf at all but stay focused).  (What child has a perfect size 3 1/2 inch glass vase right there in their bedroom?)



BEAST: I am worried that she's going to "ruin" the flowers and they will be wasted and unable to be enjoyed.  And they are expensive, beautiful red roses!  Who gets those very often? so we need to "preserve" them.  Cutting them up is not a very good idea! 


BEAUTY:  These are beautiful and should be shared with people whom I care about!  Here, I will just stop in the middle of doing the trivial, mundane stuff (such as homework), not worry about if its logical or a perfect presentation or that I will have less, and just go act on this good feeling I have right now.  See, wasn't that easy?  And look how happy it made her!!

This Beast can sure learn a lot from Beauty here.  
Maybe if I didn't worry so much about "stuff" and looked beyond material things, I would act more often on the pure motivation; of sharing kindness and love, thus not getting so caught up, that I miss the moment completely.


How beautiful a day can be
When kindness touches it!
~George Elliston



Flowers whisper "Beauty!" to the world, even as they fade, wilt, fall.  ~Dr. SunWolf, professorsunwolf.com   

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...